Wednesday, June 25, 2008


One of my 3 Naranjilla plants about to flower.

Over the last week I've had to reinforce my mono filament 'fence' at one point where they broke in. Very little damage thanks to multiple layers of line.

A wise, old hillbilly farmer solved the mystery of my slow growing plants this year and the reason my peas failed and my peanuts are about to fail--wet feet. I have heavy, poorly drained soil and this years heavy downpours in April and May drowned my plants. It's nice to see some plants do well with wet feet and some that thrive-- Cherokee Popcorn. I love my Cherokee Popcorn; this year's crop is from saved seeds; thank goodness as Baker Creek no longer offers it. I stopped growing corn a few years ago as it takes both space and time. I sure am glad I tried Cherokee popcorn last year. It set a nice crop in a small space and grew with minimal attention.

I have yet to see a Honeybee but I saw my first Bumblebee.

I've put out the following plants:

Tomatoes: Chocolate Cherry,Cherry Lollipop, Yellow Gooseberry, Matt's Wild Cherry, Black Cherry, and Yellow Peach.

Peppers: Feher Ozam Paprika, Hot Banana.

Amaranth: Hopi Red Dye, Vietnamese Red, and Mayo de Montana.

I also put out the following seeds.

Watermelons: Petit Yellow, Thai Rom Doa, Melitpolski, Chatchai, Gold Baby, Takii Gem, Golden Midget.

Muskmelons: Banana, Minnesota Midget.

Grain: Popping Sorghum, Boom Corn.

Squash: Sweet Dumpling.

Peanuts: Carwile's.

Sweet Potato: several slips from a grocery store sweet tater.

Beans: King of the Garden Lima, Yard long bean, Mississippi Silver Cowpeas.

No comments: